12/07/2021 Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Braintree Selectboard Meeting
December 7, 2021 at 6:00 pm
“In accordance with the cancellation of the State of Emergency Order by Governor Scott the meeting will be held both in-person and via conference call to follow Vermont’s Open Meeting Law. The meeting can be accessed at the scheduled time by calling 802-210-4472.”
Present at the Town Office:
Megan O’Toole, Selectboard Chairperson Daniel Burson, Selectboard Vice-Chairperson Charles McMeekin, Selectboard Member Loren Bent, Selectboard Member Keegan Haupt, Selectboard Member Janice Russell, Administrative Assistant Jessica Brassard, Town Clerk/Treasurer Dylan Pratt, Road Foreman Gary Dir, Guest-Randolph Energy Committee Patrick French, Randolph Selectboard Member
Ms. O’Toole called the meeting to order at 6:00 pm. A roll call was done to confirm what members and citizens were in attendance via teleconferencing.
The Board reviewed the agenda with the tabling of the ECFiber Delegates topic being put on hold until the January 4, 2022 Selectboard Meeting.
On motion of Mr. Bent, seconded by Mr. McMeekin, the Board unanimously approved the minutes from the Regular Selectboard Meeting on November 16, 2021.
Citizens comments are limited to 3 minutes per person with a 15-minute maximum –
- Highway Report – The Selectboard reviewed the submitted Highway Report and questioned Mr. Pratt about the results of the November 26th incident of a town truck going off the road. Confirmation that the current work on the 2021 Mack Truck is covered by the warranty was also requested from Mr. Pratt.
- Discussion on ARPA and Broadband: A Roadmap to the Last Mile Webinar – A discussion was led by Ms. Russell regarding the information provided during the webinar. ACT 71 and Communications Union Districts were the focal point of the webinar. The necessity to create detailed contracts with any entity providing broadband was emphasized throughout the webinar.
- Town Buildings Energy Audit – Gary Dir presented a background on the Randolph Energy Committee and informed the Selectboard that the committee is contacting surrounding towns for a possible collaboration on the hiring of an Energy Coordinator to assist all participating towns and their citizens in their energy audit. Patrick French, representing the Randolph Selectboard, stated that said board had not made a final decision and he was here to gather Braintree’s stance on hiring the Energy Coordinator.
- WRVA Planned Budget and Charges – This topic was moved to the budget planning meeting on Friday, December 10th.
- Dental and Vision Insurance Coverage and Costs – After a short examination of the materials sent by VLCT the Selectboard decided that the Vision Plan offered was not advantageous to the Town’s employees, but the dental insurance coverage should be provided. Other Vision Plans will be researched and revisited at another meeting.
On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Bent, the Board approved the Town of Braintree offering Northeast Delta Dental, the VLCT Group, Benefit Plan #2, and pay for premiums of all dependents.
- Megan and Derek O’Toole’s Access/Right-of-Way Permit Application – The permit application and Mr. Pratt’s comments were reviewed by the Selectboard.
On motion of Mr. Bent, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board approved the Access Permit submitted by Derek and Megan O’Toole with culvert to match neighbor’s existing culvert. Ms. O’Toole abstained from the vote.
On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously voted to enter an Executive Session at 7:00 P.M. for a discussion of personnel matters pursuant to 1 V.S.A. Section 313 (a)(3).
At 7:30 p.m. the board came out of the Executive Session with the following decision and motion:
On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously voted to hire Daniel Small part-time for the winter season to assist in snow removal.
Payment orders – The Selectboard reviewed the Payment Orders.
On motion of Mr. Bent, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved the payment orders.
On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. McMeekin, the Board unanimously adjourned the meeting at 7:31 p.m.
Janice R. Russell