11/02/2021 Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Braintree Selectboard Meeting
November 2, 2021 at 6:00 pm
“In accordance with the cancellation of the State of Emergency Order by Governor Scott the meeting will be held both in-person and via conference call to follow Vermont’s Open Meeting Law. The meeting can be accessed at the scheduled time by calling 802-210-4472.”
Present at the Town Office:
Megan O’Toole, Selectboard Chairperson Daniel Burson, Selectboard Vice-Chairperson Charles McMeekin, Selectboard Member Keegan Haupt, Selectboard Member Loren Bent, Selectboard Member Janice Russell, Administrative Assistant Jessica Brassard, Town Clerk/Treasurer Steve Brassard, Town Constable Robert Moyers, Development Review Board Chairperson
Ms. O’Toole called the meeting to order at 6:04 pm. A roll call was done to confirm what members and citizens were in attendance via teleconferencing.
The Board reviewed the agenda with the addition of the topic of Leased Land under New Business, the Posting Bulletin Boards under Old Business, and an Executive Session for a Personnel Matter. The topic of the Reapportionment Proposed House Map was removed as it was discussed at the 5:30 P.M. Board of Civil Authority Meeting.
Citizens comments are limited to 3 minutes per person with a 15-minute maximum –
- Highway Report – The Board reviewed the report and had no comments or questions. Mr. Haupt broached the topic of a Thayer Brook Road graveyard very close to the edge of the road that needs to be flagged so any road work or snow plowing will not disturb the stones. Haupt also requested the mailbox aprons be created along Peth, Walker, Fletcher and Mud Pond Roads.
Mr. Brassard reported complaints have been made regarding speeding and destruction of the road at the intersection of RT 12A and Duclos Road. The Selectboard agreed a letter signed by Messrs. Brassard and Pratt will be sent out to the residents on the road regarding reckless driving and the severity of destruction to a road and the civil action the Town can bring pursuant to Statute 19: Highways, 19 V.S.A. § 1108, Highways, Chapter 011: Protection of Highways.
- Discussion on ARPA Funding – There are no updates currently.
- FY ‘2023 Budget Planning – The Town is still awaiting the FY ’21 Audit, and the budget process will begin in earnest after said audit is completed.
- Benefits for Seasonal Highway Crew Member – The Vermont League of Cities and Towns provided information that the Town would legally be required to provide Workman’s Comp and Accrued Sick Time to a Seasonal Worker.
- Update on the State Work on Bridge #47 over Ayers Brook, East Braintree – The Board reviewed the most recent plans for the scheduled work and Ms. O’Toole will contact the State Agency of Transportation regarding questions from the Board.
- Bulletin Board – A decision was made to table this topic until a discussion can be held at Town Meeting.
- Lease Land Release – The Town received a request to sign off on some leased land but by State Law the Town relinquished all leased land on January 1, 2020. An informational bulletin will be created and posted in the vault explaining the law and relinquishment of the leased land.
On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. McMeekin, the Board unanimously voted to enter an Executive Session at 6:55 P.M. for a discussion of personnel matters pursuant to 1 V.S.A. Section 313 (a)(3).
At 7:07 p.m. the board came out of the Executive Session with no action taken at this time that required a vote.
Payment orders – The Selectboard reviewed the Payment Orders.
On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved the payment orders.
Janice R. Russell