08/02/2022 Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Braintree Selectboard Meeting
August 2, 2022, at 6:00 pm
The meeting was held both in-person, videoconferencing and via conference call to follow Vermont’s Open Meeting Law. The meeting can be accessed via the below options:
Join the meeting: https://meetings.dialpad.com/braintreesbmotoole
Optional dial-in number: 802-210-4472 PIN: 16445
International access numbers available here: https://meetings.dialpad.com/international.”
Present at the Town Office:
Daniel Burson, Selectboard Vice-Chair Loren Bent, Selectboard Member
Charlie McMeekin, Selectboard Member Keegan Haupt, Selectboard Member
Janice Russell, Administrative Assistant
Present via Teleconference:
Jessica Brassard, Town Clerk/Treasurer Leslie Winters, Braintree Citizen
Megan O’Toole, Selectboard Chairperson, was unable to attend the meeting due to an unavoidable conflict.
Mr. Burson chaired the meeting and called it to order at 6:02 pm. A roll call was done to confirm what members and citizens were in attendance via teleconferencing.
The Board reviewed the agenda and decided to remove the Traffic Study, the Gravel Pit Updates, and the Salt Shed Follow-up due to no knew information at this time. Also, as Andre Artstrong did not appear before or call into the meeting, the Board removed his request for Clancy Road Legal Trail Upgrades.
On motion of Mr. McMeekin, seconded by Mr. Bent, the Board unanimously approved the minutes from the Regular Selectboard Meeting on July 19, 2022.
Citizens comments limited to 3 minutes per person with a 15-minute maximum – No comments.
Ms. Leslie Winters requested assistance with the extra traffic on the Class 4 Craig Hill Road due to the Route 12 Bridge construction. The road is impassable in spots and vehicles are getting stuck or required to turn around on her property. The Road Commissioner, Daniel Burson, stated that the Town will place No Outlet signs at both entrances to the road and explore possibly putting up Road Closed During Mud Season signs in the Spring. Mr. Burson will contact Bethany Oprendek, the Route 12 Project Communication’s Coordinator, regarding having No Detour Signs installed at both ends of the Craig Hill Road until the end of the construction project.
- Highway Report – Mr. Burson stated that the Thresher Road Project has been completed. The left-over gravel from this project is being spread on other roads as needed. The Highway Crew are working on maintenance projects.
- Jeannie Catmull/Dean Salls, Jr. Construction Utilities Within Highway Right-of-Way Permit Application – Keegan made the motion to approve Charlie 2nd
On motion of Mr. Haupt, seconded by Mr. McMeekin, the Board unanimously approved the Jeannie Catmull/Dean Salls, Jr. Construction Utilities Within Highway Right-of-Way permit on Brainstorm Road with the caveat that the construction does not begin during the Route 12 Bridge Construction or that the road not be fully closed and work in progress signs and flagmen are present.
- Violations of Trash Ordinances on 2 Braintree Properties Follow-up – Ms. Russell reported that one property has come back in compliance with the Trash Ordinance. The second property owner received the Certified Letter on July 22, 2022, that stated said owner has 30 days from date of receipt of the letter to clean up the property or the Town would enforce the Civil Penalty phase of the Trash Ordinance. The Selectboard will take up this topic at the next two meetings.
- North Road RR Crossing Follow-up – The research to locate more information on the ownership of the North Road has resulted in new information being located in the Town Records. The research will continue when access to the vault can occur.
- Concerns about ongoing stench of entrail storage – Royal Butcher – There has been progress made by Royal Butcher to mitigate the amount of entrail storage left out in the open containers and the reduction of the stench caused by said entrail storage. The Selectboard decided to table and remove this topic unless circumstances change.
- Set FY ’23 Tax Rate – After a brief discussion on the FY ’23 Tax Rate and how due to the State Education Fund, etc. that is beyond the Town’s control the residents and non-residents tax rates have become very similar. The tax rates have gone down approximately 12 and 15 cents respectively from last year.
On motion of Mr. Bent, seconded by Mr. McMeekin, the Board unanimously approved the FY ’23 Tax Rate of 2.3434 for Braintree Residents and 2.3437.
Payment orders – The Selectboard reviewed the Payment Orders.
On motion of Mr. Bent, seconded by Mr. McMeekin, the Board unanimously approved the payment orders.
On motion of Mr. Burson, seconded by Mr. McMeekin, the Board unanimously adjourned the meeting at 7:45 p.m.
Janice R. Russell