× Close

Starting on Tuesday, July 5th, the bridge on RT 12 over Ayers Brook in East Braintree, VT will be down to one lane. The Bridge/Route 12 will be closed to all traffic beginning Tuesday, July 19th - August 17, 2022.… Read More...

05/17/2022 Selectboard Meeting Minutes

Minutes

Braintree Selectboard Meeting

 May 17, 2022 at 6:00 pm

The meeting was held both in-person, videoconferencing and via conference call to follow Vermont’s Open Meeting Law.  The meeting can be accessed via the below options: 

Join the meeting: https://meetings.dialpad.com/braintreesbmotoole
Optional dial-in number: 802-210-4472 PIN: 16445
International access numbers available here: https://meetings.dialpad.com/international.”

Present at the Town Office:

Megan O’Toole, Selectboard Chairperson               Daniel Burson, Selectboard Vice-Chairperson

Loren Bent, Selectboard Member                                    Charlie McMeekin, Selectboard Member

Keegan Haupt, Selectboard Member                            Janice R. Russell, Administrative Assistant

Robert Moyer, DRB Chairperson                                             Joan Richmond-Hall, DRB Member

Kate Van Houten, Bent Hill Resident                                            Mike Lavin, Bent Hill Resident

Michael Czok, Bent Hill Brewery Owner                      Chelsie Brown, Bent Hill Brewery Owner

Mike Czok, Bent Hill Resident/Interested Party  Marge Czok, Bent Hill Resident/Interested Party

Pam White, Braintree Citizen

Present on the Phone:  Dylan Pratt, Road Foreman

Ms. O’Toole called the meeting to order at 6:05 pm.  A roll call was done to confirm what members and citizens were in attendance via teleconferencing.

The Board reviewed the agenda and added the topics of Parking Signs at the BMF Access to Highway Report, the Potential Gravel Pit Site to Old Business and moved the topic of the Free Book Box to the beginning of the meeting.    

On motion of Mr. Burson, seconded by Mr. Bent, the Board unanimously approved the minutes from the Regular Selectboard Meeting on May 3, 2022. 

Citizens comments limited to 3 minutes per person with a 15-minute maximum – No comments other than for the topics warned on the agenda.

Reports

  • Highway Report – The Highway Crew continues to put up sand for the next winter cycle and still grading the roads when necessary.

The Highway Foreman will investigate the number of signs needed at the BMF access sites and inform the ROC of the potential cost.                                             

Old Business 

  • RT 12 Bridge Closing- The topic was tabled as there is no new information on the project.
  • Bent Hill Brewery Response to ACT 250 and DRB/Zoning Permits –TRORC informed Ms. O’Toole that any survey performed by them would be at no charge as it is included in the Town of Braintree’s annual dues.  Ms. O’Toole then went on to explain that TRORC would only conduct surveys that would define the traffic volumes on rural roads as low, moderate, or high but would do one or two counters.  A low volume road is anything 400 vehicles or under based on an annual traffic volume.  All raw data of the survey would be provided to the Town, but no analysis would be done over the general assessment of traffic volume, and it wouldn’t be comparative to anything.  Mr. Mike Czok provided further information on traffic studies that the State has conducted on Riford Brook and Braintree Hill Roads in comparison to the traffic on Bent Hill Road.  The Town may decide to review and update their bylaws to accommodate the changing demographics and needs of the Town’s citizens.  This topic will be continued at the next meeting when the board will solicit more feedback on the roads that should be surveyed to collect baseline data to inform further town planning.
  • ARPA Funding Planning Committee – This topic was tabled until the next meeting so further communication with potential committee members could occur.
  • Approval of GMP Connecticut Corners/Bover Roads Intersection Access/Utilities Permit Application – A brief review and discussion of the permit application occurred. 

On motion of Mr. Burson, seconded by Mr. Haupt the Board unanimously approved the GMP Connecticut Corners/Bover Roads Intersection Access/Utilities Permit Application. 

  • Gravel Pits – A discussion on the potential Gravel Pit site was led by Mr. Haupt.  The Town will continue to investigate the site to determine if it’s suitable to meet the needs of the town.

New business

  • Town Hall Door Locks/Keys – At this time no action will be taken.
  • Possible Location for New Fire Hydrant – A possible spot on the top of Riford Brook Road has been located by Mr. Bent.  The property owners do have some concerns that the Town would need to work through with them before the hydrant can be placed on their property.  The Town will, in the meantime, start on the Fire Safety Protection Grant Application.
  • Hire RTCC Work-Study Student, Jacob Bisson, for Summer Highway Crew – An examination on the process of hiring a work-study student compared to the process hiring a regular part-time worker was discussed.  The discussion morphed into how much part-time highway employees should be paid.

On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Bent, the Board unanimously approved the change of part-time highway employees’ wages from $15.00 an hour to $20.00 an hour.  

  • VMERS Board of Trustees Employer Representative Election – The Selectboard made no decisions this topic.
  • Free Book Box at the Overhang at the Town Hall – Pam White discussed the use of the Town Hall Property for a Free Book Box.  The Selectboard agreed that a Free Book Box was a great idea and will look into options for an appropriately sized box placed at the Hall.  The Selectboard will post a set of rules and regulations for the use of the box if necessary.
  • Trash on Rochester Hollow Road Property – The Selectboard requested the Administrative Assistant send out a letter, including the Town’s Trash Ordinance, to the property owner.  Another Certified Letter regarding the Trash Ordinance Violation will be sent to the West Street and Riford Brook Road owner/residents.  
  • Employee Annual Evaluation Planning- The Selectboard Members will conduct employee evaluations in the next several weeks and before the end of the fiscal year.

Executive Session to discuss a contract matter pursuant to 1 V.S.A. Section 313 (1)(A). 

On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously voted to enter an Executive Session at 7:38 P.M. for a discussion of a contract matter pursuant to 1 V.S.A. Section 313 (1)(A). 

At 8:07 p.m. the board came out of the Executive Session with no action taken at this time that required a vote.

Payment orders –   The Selectboard reviewed the Payment Orders.  

On motion of Mr. Bent, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously approved the payment orders.

Adjournment

On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously adjourned the meeting at 8:07 p.m.  

Respectfully submitted,

Janice R. Russell

Administrative Assistant