× Close

Starting on Tuesday, July 5th, the bridge on RT 12 over Ayers Brook in East Braintree, VT will be down to one lane. The Bridge/Route 12 will be closed to all traffic beginning Tuesday, July 19th - August 17, 2022.… Read More...

05/03/2022 Selectboard Meeting Minutes

Minutes

Braintree Selectboard Meeting

 May 3, 2022 at 6:00 pm

The meeting was held both in-person, videoconferencing and via conference call to follow Vermont’s Open Meeting Law.  The meeting can be accessed via the below options: 

Join the meeting: https://meetings.dialpad.com/braintreesbmotoole
Optional dial-in number: 802-210-4472 PIN: 16445
International access numbers available here: https://meetings.dialpad.com/international.”

Present at the Town Office:

Megan O’Toole, Selectboard Chairperson           Daniel Burson, Selectboard Vice-Chairperson

Loren Bent, Selectboard Member                                    Charlie McMeekin, Selectboard Member

Keegan Haupt, Selectboard Member   Janice R. Russell, Administrative Assistant

Kris Haupt, Cemetery Commission Chairperson       Robert Moyer, DRB Chairperson

Gary Blatz, Zoning Administrator         Stuart Kinney, Braintree Citizen

Doug Gottshall, Bent Hill Resident Kate Van Houten, Bent Hill Resident

Michael Czok, Bent Hill Brewery Owner     Chelsie Brown, Bent Hill Brewery Owner

Mike Czok, Bent Hill Resident/Interested Party

Ms. O’Toole called the meeting to order at 6:00 pm.  A roll call was done to confirm what members and citizens were in attendance via teleconferencing.

The Board reviewed the agenda and made no changes.  

On motion of Mr. McMeekin, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously approved the minutes from the Regular Selectboard Meeting on April 19, 2022, and the minutes from the Special Selectboard Meeting on April 29, 2022.

Citizens comments limited to 3 minutes per person with a 15-minute maximum – Stuart Kinney expressed his concern regarding the Selectboard spending money to purchase the excavator.  Mr. Kinney stated he knows the money spent didn’t raise taxes but still felt there was no reason to spend the surplus money at this time.

Reports

  • Highway Report – All the main Braintree roads have been graded once but the Highway Crew still needs to grade the side roads.  All the equipment is running, and the new excavator and trailer have been delivered and the backhoe, which was a trade-in for the excavator, has been removed.  The crew has been clearing the winter debris of trees and branches out of the ditches.   R.E. Tucker, Inc. is scheduled to begin crushing gravel this week and the crew will be putting up the sand pile the week of May 9th-13th.     The Road Foreman, Dylan Pratt, and Road Commission, Daniel Burson, have been visiting with other Towns to learn the best practices for grading the Town’s roads to control the roadside berms.
  • Cemetery Commission Report – Kris Haupt reported that all the cemeteries have gone through the spring clean-up and that any damaged/fallen stones have been repaired/lifted back into place.  Seth Bent has agreed to complete his term on the commission but there is still one open position.  To prevent the continued destruction of the front portion of the Thayer Brook Road Burridge Cemetery a fence, guardrail or some other type of buffer needs to be put in place for protection from vehicles driving into the cemetery to avoid road problems, especially during mud season.
  • Development Review Board (DRB) Report – Bob Moyer thanked Gary Blatz, Zoning Administrator, for doing such a terrific job handling all the zoning permits, etc. that there has been no need for the DRB to meet for any issue.  The DRB will continue to be involved in the ongoing Bent Hill Brewery permitting process.
  • Zoning Administrator’s Report – There are seven new permits out so far this season and two outstanding issues.  Said issues are the treehouse on Braintree Hill Road and the structure placed near Spear Brook on Peth Road.  Mr. Blatz is continuing to do research and to reach out to the owners of both properties.

Old Business 

  • RT 12 Bridge Closing- The Vermont Agency of Transportation provided a construction up that includes the traffic impact on VT RT 12, the detour along VT Route 12A, planned construction activities and the anticipated mobilization date of mid-June.  Mr. Haupt will be meeting with the engineers and contractors on Friday morning at the bridge site.
  • Bent Hill Brewery Response to ACT 250 and DRB/Zoning Permits – Ms. O’Toole explained the information she received from TRORC regarding traffic surveys and after a discussion it was decided that Ms. O’Toole will request clarification responses on questions brought up by the Selectboard Members, the Bent Hill Brewery owners, and neighbors.    The Bent Hill Brewery owners provided further documents in support of why a restaurant was needed for them to continue to stay in business per the State of Vermont’s regulations on the on-site sale of beer, wine, and alcohol.  There is still a question about the hours the brewery is open and the need to make sure they are following the Town of Braintree’s DRB regulations outlined in the granted permit.  There was also concern expressed about the possible number of special events the brewery is allowed to hold under the State’s permit.  This topic was then closed until the next meeting so further information can be obtained by all parties and any provided information can be studied in more detail.
  • Jackson Evans Retirement as ECFiber Representative – Mr. Evans submitted an official Letter of Resignation as the ECFiber Representative to the Board. 

On motion of Mr. Haupt, seconded by Mr. McMeekin, the Board unanimously approved the acceptance of Jackson Evans Letter of Resignation as the ECFiber Representative.

  • ARPA Reporting Update, next steps – Mss. O’Toole and Russell outlined what steps the Town has taken so far to obtain the funding; specifically, the Town taking the Standard Option which allows the Town to use said funds without restrictions.  Ms. O’Toole proposed that an ARPA Committee be formed to assist in locating sources for the allocation of the ARPA Funds.  

On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Bent, the Board unanimously approved the formation of an ARPA Committee to identify sources for the allocation of the ARPA funds and that the ARPA Committee be made up of at least three Selectboard Members, the Town Clerk/Treasurer, the Road Foreman and a Representative from each of the Committees or Commissions that currently exist in Town that wish to participate and the meetings will be warned and open to the public and the ARPA Committee is charged with the purpose of making recommendations to the Selectboard in terms on how to allocate the ARPA funds.   

New business

  • TRORC Volunteer of the Year Award 2022 – This topic was tabled for further discussion and brainstorming at the next meeting.
  • Cut Road Permit from GMP for Bover Road – As the permit application was not available until this meeting the topic was tabled until the next meeting so the members could have a chance to study the permit application and site map and provide a more informed decision. 

Executive Session to discuss a contract matter pursuant to 1 V.S.A. Section 313 (1)(A). 

On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously voted to enter an Executive Session at 7:19 P.M. for a discussion of a contract matter pursuant to 1 V.S.A. Section 313 (1)(A). 

At 7:55 p.m. the board came out of the Executive Session with no action taken at this time that required a vote.

Payment orders –   The Selectboard reviewed the Payment Orders.  

On motion of Mr. Bent, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved the payment orders.

Adjournment

On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. McMeekin, the Board unanimously adjourned the meeting at 7:55 p.m.  

Respectfully submitted,

Janice R. Russell

Administrative Assistant