03/15/2022 Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Braintree Selectboard Meeting
March 15, 2022 at 6:00 pm
The meeting will be held both in-person, videoconferencing and via conference call to follow Vermont’s Open Meeting Law. The meeting can be accessed via the below options:
Join the meeting: https://meetings.dialpad.com/braintreesbmotoole
Optional dial-in number: 802-210-4472 PIN: 16445
International access numbers available here: https://meetings.dialpad.com/international.”
Present via Remote Conference Calling:
Adam Lane, President of VT ATV Sportsman Association
Present at the Town Office:
Megan O’Toole, Selectboard Chairperson Daniel Burson, Selectboard Vice-Chairperson Loren Bent, Selectboard Member Charlie McMeekin, Selectboard Member Keegan Haupt, Selectboard Member Janice Russell, Administrative Assistant Dylan Pratt, Road Foreman Jessica Brassard, Town Clerk/Treasurer Paul Kendall, Tri-Valley Transit Representative Paul Shriver, Conservation Commission Chair
Ms. O’Toole called the meeting to order at 6:05 pm. A roll call was done to confirm what members and citizens were in attendance via teleconferencing.
The Board reviewed the agenda and made no changes.
On motion of Mr. McMeekin, seconded by Mr. Bent, the Board unanimously approved the minutes from the Regular Selectboard Meeting on March 2, 2022.
Citizens comments limited to 3 minutes per person with a 15 minute maximum – There were no citizens comments.
- Highway Report – The highway workers are all healthy and all equipment is running. The 2016 Mack Truck did have a broken leaf spring last week that the Town had McLeods replace. There have been several instances this spring where the edge of the Farnsworth Brook Road has been washed out due to water running down a driveway onto the road. A decision was made to contact the property owner about how to mitigate the problem.
- Upcoming Grant Opportunities – A Municipal Highway Structures Grant Application for remediation of a culvert problem at the intersection of Thresher and Woodchuck Hollow Roads was reviewed for submittal.
- Tri-Valley Transit Representative – Paul Kendall provided the Selectboard with copies of the FY ’21 Annual Report. Kendall explained that Covid had an impact on Tr-Valley’s ridership, drivers, routes and volunteers. Some routes were canceled due to lack of ridership; it wasn’t cost effective to keep the routes operating with so few riders. Many volunteers stopped using their personal vehicles to take riders to appointments, shopping etc. Now that Covid has lessened the hope is to add the routes and volunteers back into operation. The crowning point of the year was the opening of the new Bradford facility. Tri-Valley is still moving forward with plans to add electric buses and additions or new facilities in Middlebury and Randolph.
- Conservation Committee Report – Paul Shriver informed the Selectboard that the committee is communicating with Conservation Committees in surrounding towns regarding joint ventures in conservation issues such as the Emerald Ash Borer. The committee is still working on the tract of land that is adjacent to the Thayer Brook. The committee also recently hosted a Pollinators discussion led by Ms. Johnson of UVM Extension Service. Shriver then queried the Selectboard for possible topics/issues for the committee to investigate or discuss in future meetings.
- Regional Emergency Management Committee Appointments – A potential candidate for the committee was discussed. The topic was then tabled until further communication with the candidate can be done.
- Consider appointment of Allison Jassen to the open Town Auditor Position – The Selectboard reviewed Allison Jassen’s Letter of Interest and Qualifications for the vacant Town Auditor Position.
On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved the appointment of Allison Jassen to the vacant Town Auditor position.
- Re-Adoption of Braintree ATV Ordinance – Adam Lane in response to Ms. O’Toole’s query that he had not been notified of any issues/problems during last year’s ATV season. There were no changes to the ATV Ordinance wording.
- Green-up Day Preparation – The Selectboard instructed Mr. Pratt to contact companies for tire recycling prices. Mr. Haupt reminded the Board that the Randolph Transfer Station does free Green-up Day trash collection.
- Certificate – No Appeal or Suit Pending – Review and Sign – After a brief review of the Certificate:
On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. McMeekin the Board unanimously approved the Certificate of No Appeal or Suit Pending.
- Approve 2022 Town Meeting Minutes – The Town Meeting Minutes were looked over the minutes.
On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. McMeekin, the Board approved the minutes from the Braintree Town Meeting on February 26, 2022 with Mr. Burson abstaining.
- Approve JP Recommendation for Governor Appointment – Ms. Brassard explained the process for making recommendation to the Governor.
On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. McMeekin the Board unanimously approved the Justice of the Peace recommendation of Sherri Richardson for the Governor’s Appointment.
- Gillespie Fuels & Propane, Inc. Credit for Diesel – Ms. Russell, upon request from the Selectboard, will contact Gillespie’s to have the credit refunded monetarily.
- Michael Gratta’s Application for Access Within Right-of-Way Permit – There were no conditions placed on the application by Mr. Pratt.
On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Bent, the Board unanimously approved Michael Gratta’s Application for Access Within Right-of-Way Permit.
- Excavator and Trailer Rental and Contractor Costs Report – The cost report was incorporated into the Review of Excavator and Trailer Pricing Topic.
- Review of Excavator and Trailer Pricing – An extensive discussion of the topic occurred before the Selectboard agreed to table further discussion and any decision until the April 5, 2022.
Payment orders – The Selectboard reviewed the Payment Orders.
On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously adjourned the meeting at 8:07 p.m.
Janice R. Russell